Fuck Xcode

Two years ago, Brent Simmons introduced ded: a handy little alias to deal with Xcode quirks

alias ded='rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData'

It has been useful, but since recently it was not enough. Sometimes, Xcode will complain about not being able to use the simulator, even if it’s not running.

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 14.02.21

Or things will just fail randomly and often, leading to frustration and anger.

Eventually, ded was not enough, so here’s my replacement:

alias fuckxcode="pkill -9 -i 'ios simulator|xcode' && rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData && open http://www.calm.com/"

And I’ll quote Brent again on Bugs:

In the old days, programmers spent hours and days and weeks working very hard, and sometimes brilliantly, on difficult things that no one had ever done before.

These days, programmers spend hours and days and weeks working very hard, and usually unsatisfactorily, on getting around bugs in their platform.

2 thoughts on “Fuck Xcode

  1. In the old days, programmers spent hours and days and weeks working very hard, and sometimes brilliantly, on difficult things that no one had ever done before.
    These days, programmers spend hours and days and weeks working very hard, and usually unsatisfactorily, on getting around bugs in their platform.

    This comment is so true that makes me cry. I remember programming back in the day and 100% of my time was spent creating code. Today, 20% of my time is spent creating code. The other 80% is fighting the piece of shit called Xcode. I hate Xcode with passion.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s